B Occupational therapy University of the Free State - 1982
M Occupational Therapy University of the Free State – 1991
PhD Occupational Therapy University of the Free State - 2013
Since 1 September 1985 Director and Senior Occupational Therapist of the Bloemfontein Child Information Centre at the department of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of the Free State, Bloemfontein.
The Centre’s 21st Celebrations was celebrated in March 2007. I in my present job for 32 years..
ACADEMIC, CLINICAL AND RESEARCH INTERESTS:
1. In 1984 the 2 month course on Neurodevelopment Techniques.
2. Sensory Integration Test user – 1993.
3. START Course organiser and principal trainer since 1994
4. Baby massage course in 1999.
5. Research on motor development in the community for the baby younger than 6 months. 2003
6. Presenter at the 9th World Down Syndrome congress, August 2006 in Vancouver, Canada.
7. Retrospective Research on home programme for children with Down syndrome. 2006-2007.
8. I enrolled for my PhD in Occupational Therapy ,January 2010.
1. SA Medical Journal – The Bloemfontein Child Information Centre 1989.
2. Author of “Speel-Speel Tuis” 1991 and 1992 ( A book on household utensils and their use in play stimulation.)
3. Co-Author of “Speletjies Pret”: 1993 (Book on toys and their use.)
4. Co-Author: The Effect of TB Meningitis on the Cognitive and Motor development of children. SA Medical Journal. 1995
5. Co-Author of Stimulation Programme for child younger than 3 years in 1994 and second edition in 1997.
6. Co-Author of “Fun-Play Stimulation Programme: 0 – 3 years” November 1998.
7. Auther of “Play-Fun” 2006. Revised for children with Down Syndrome
8. Auther of “ABC Play at Home” 2008. Home play stimulation.
9. Co-Author: Prone Positioning and motor development in the first 6 weeks of life. South African Journal of Occupational Therapy, 39(1):11-14, May.
10. The Developmental Resource Stimulation Programme Manual. 2010.
Russell DC, Van Heerden R, Van Vuuren S, Venter A and Joubert G. 2016. The impact of the “Developmental Resource Stimulation Programme” (DRSP) on children with Down syndrome. South African Journal of Occupational Therapy, 46(1):33-40, May.
Russell DC, Van Heerden R, Van Vuuren S, Venter A and Joubert G. 2016. Time management guidelines for the intervention of a child with Down syndrome using the Developmental “Resource Stimulation Programme” (DRSP). South African Journal of Occupational Therapy, 46(1):41-44, May
I love my work and have a passion for helping parents helping their children. The past 32 years were a blessing. I have 2 daughters, oldest a medical doctor. My youngest is lecturer at Stellenbosh at dept Biometrie. (I am so glad) I am married to a wonderful and loving man for 12 years. (and counting)